United Way of Greater Atlanta – A Roundabout Atlanta Partner
Roundabout Atlanta is thankful for all of our partners. We are a part of an ATL community that proudly works together to support each other. That’s why Roundabout wants to individually highlight each of our partners in a fun and educational blog. We’ll kick off this series by recognizing the United Way of Greater Atlanta, explaining who they are, what they do and how you can get involved.
Location: 40 Courtland St NE #300, Atlanta, GA 30303, United States
Hours: Monday – Friday 9am – 5pm
Who is the United Way of Greater Atlanta and what do they do?
The United Way of Greater Atlanta proudly “brings together people and resources to tackle complex issues and drive sustainable positive change to help the community thrive.” By using team efforts, investment opportunities, and by serving the community United Way can create that thriving community here in Georgia’s capital. But what exactly does this all mean?
The United Way first organizes all the pieces of the community, like donors, advocates, partner agencies & organizations, counties & governments, and volunteers. Then they will connect all these entities together so that they can finally put things in motion and get people the help they need. Helping one person helps everyone. While the United Way reaches out to both men and women, they place a strong emphasis on children and child needs because when kids are doing well, the whole community is doing well. Here are some examples.
- Four days a week, children in Clayton County head to different library branches across their community, and each Thursday they go to the library headquarters on Battle Creek Road in Jonesboro. There, children can improve reading skills in a safe environment that doubles as childcare, something so many families desperately need.
- In August of 2019, at the United Way Kids Home Initiative site in South Fulton, kids were provided breakfast and backpacks stuffed with pencils, paper, crayons, folders and more. Parents and adults could visit tables that featured community resources and other local opportunities. At the end of the event, 75 students and their families were impacted and left feeling prepared and more excited for the first day of school.
How do I get involved?
Now that you have a better understanding of what the United Way of Greater Atlanta stands for and their role in the community, you may be asking yourself what you can do to help. Here are three easy ways to get involved:
- Volunteering can be rewarding in so many ways. The United Way of Greater Atlanta has 16,000 volunteers working in the area’s 13 counties. Click here to learn more about volunteer opportunities, like academic tutoring and financial coaching.
- Join a group of other like-minded individuals and help make a change with organizations like Young Professional Leaders and the African-American Partnership. Click here to find out more about joining a group.
- Donate directly to the United Way of Greater Atlanta. Click here for more information about donating. Donations can make a big impact in numerous lives, here are some examples.
- $5/week provides group therapy for 16 teenagers to learn anger management skills to help reduce violent juvenile crime.
- $15/week provides one month’s rent and move-in expenses for a formerly homeless person successfully transitioning from the street to their own apartment.
- $25/week provides 65 families with financial literacy classes to help them manage their money and build better budgets.
United Way Events
The United Way of Greater Atlanta provides community events that are both educational and fun. Click here to learn more about past and future events, like the Women’s Leadership Breakfast scheduled for May 5, 2022.
You can even change lives by shopping. Check out the United Way of Greater Atlanta’s online shop by clicking here.
By offering tours like our Atlanta Black History and Civil Rights Tour, Roundabout Atlanta is bettering our ATL community through education and exceptional service. Together, with partners like the United Way of Greater Atlanta, we make Atlanta strong!