This was an amazingly informative and enjoyable tour. Our guide’s presentation was conversational, not scripted. I HIGHLY recommend this tour for anyone who is interested in Black culture and Civil Rights history of Atlanta.
Atlanta Black History & Civil Rights Tours
Explore historical African-American sites
See the birth home of Dr. MLK Jr. & Tyler Perry Studios
Custom pick your hop-off stop
What better place to delve into African-American heritage than Home of the Civil Rights Movement? Atlanta is a city with a turbulent but ultimately persevering past, evident in the neighborhoods, people, and spirit that have helped shape the city we know and love today. Roundabout Atlanta Tours & Transportation goes further than any other tour operator, allowing you to fully experience the historical and cultural significance of our groundbreaking city.
A Taste of What You'll See
Original Madea's House
The Martin Luther King Jr. Historic Park
Famous Hollywood Movies & TV Locations
The Atlanta University Center/HBCU's
Atlanta’s 1st Black Public High School
Paschal’s Restaurant/The Civil Rights Headquarters
* You will see these destinations and more! Click here for full itinerary (3-4 stops included).
Click the tabs to find out more
$69 per person
$60 per child (ages 5-12)
Children under 4 go free! Only child per family
We offer special rates for groups of 8+ people. Please get in touch to discuss.
9:30am and 2:15pm
Atlanta Marriott Marquis (Downtown Atlanta)
265 Peachtree Center Ave NE, Atlanta, GA 30303
Atlanta Marriott Marquis:
- Transportation Services: Good location for guest using the Marta train, Uber/Lyft/taxi
- Parking: No free parking! Paid-parking is available, if you choose to park please park at any PARKING GARAGE located a block from the hotel. (Rates range $10-$30)
- The hotel has clean bathrooms, a convenience store and Starbucks Coffee (opened 6am-1pm only)
- Meetup at the hotel’s Main Street curbside for pickup (You’ll see a big grey sign on the hotel curbside entrance that display “Marriott Marquis Atlanta” The sign is directly across the street from the Hyatt Regency.
- Please arrive at least 10min before departure time
5-6 days a week, year-round (weather permitting)
Min group size
- Centralized Pickup and drop off
- Air-conditioned/heated vehicle
- 3-4 stops for exploring and selfies (lunch-stop is optional)
- Lunch stop
- Child car seat
- Parking rates range $10-$30 Parking lots are located about one block from Atlanta Marriott Marquis
What to bring
- Money for lunch stop
- Comfortable clothing
- A positive attitude, and an openness to learn!
About the guide
You will be accompanied by a professional local tour guide.
Walk in the Footsteps of Great Leaders
As home of the Modern Civil Rights Movement and the final resting place for many great black leaders, it is no wonder hundreds of tourists flock to Atlanta each year to uncover its rich culture and history. Join us as we showcase some of the city’s most iconic and significant African-American neighborhoods and landmarks. Roundabout Atlanta goes further than any other tour company in the region, taking you through Historic Sweet Auburn Avenue, The West End, Castleberry Hills, Vine City, Atlanta University Center, Downtown Atlanta, and many other popular sites. We’ll also take the time to explore the city’s very first black millionaire Alonzo Herndon, Tyler Perry Studios, as well as Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.’s birth home and last residence.
In Atlanta, you’re always in good company. Our city has close ties to many great African-American leaders and activists, past and present, such as W.E.B Du Bois, Madam CJ Walker, Booker T. Washington, Stokely Carmichael, Maynard Jackson and many, many more. Despite its past challenges, Atlanta is a vibrant city that has emerged as a center for black culture, education, political influence, and business — a testament to its power, strength, and undefeated spirit.
Frequently Asked Questions
Our Black History & Civil Rights Tour has 3 stops. We pride ourselves on being flexible, so if you’d like to stop at a particular destination, please don’t hesitate to let us know. We’ll do our very best to accommodate you.
We can stop at the following locations: Shrine of The Black Madonna Culture Center, Citizens Trust Bank Bldg (lunch & bathroom stop), Madam CJ Walker Museum, The King Center, Tyler Perry Studios (weekends only), Original Madea House, Historic West End Business District, and The Municipal Curb Market (Lunch & Restroom stop)
**Hop-off stops vary due to certain sites operating only on select days or times.
We definitely make a lunch stop during the tour, which is not included in the tour price. Please bring some extra money for lunch. We provide water throughout the day.
Unfortunately, hotel pickups have become challenging and time consuming on a variety of issues. The influx of weekend travelers from Thurs-Monday, film shooting, and Downtown Peachtree Street Alteration by the city of Atlanta has been terrible. So we’re now picking up at these meetup locations to save tour time.
Yes, we meet up at Atlanta Marriott Marquis Hotel. Pick-up locations must be chosen at the time booking.
- Atlanta Marriott Marquis Hotel is the meetup location for travelers lodging outside Downtown Atlanta that’s using Uber, Lyft, or Taxi service. The hotel has comfortable lobby seating, clean bathrooms, and Starbucks Coffee (open 6am-1pm only) There’s a pay to park lot across the street from the hotel. Parking is not free! Parking rates start at $10-$30
Availability changes daily, and we suggest you place reservation as soon as you have confirmed your travel dates and times.
Yes! We will gladly place a courtesy call/or text to remind you of your reservation at the time of, a few hours before, or the day before your pick-up. Please let us know at the time of booking.
Have more questions? Check out our FAQ page!
Understand the Hype
This tour was incredible !!! Omar is like the best history professor you’ve ever had…. Fun and entertaining while you are learning everything about black history and the civil rights movement in Atlanta.
The atlanta black history & Civil right tour was very informative . The tour guide was very nice. Atlanta is so rich with black history. I recommend this tour to anyone who is interested in the history of our ancestors as well as the city of Atlanta. Thank you.